November 15, 2019
How to Assemble an LMS Implementation Dream Team
Launching a new learning management system takes careful planning, including the assembling of a dream team of superstars who will make the implementation happen smoothly and efficiently. If you're a small organization, your internal dream team may be a mighty party of one. If a larger, then roles are likely distributed across different departments and people. Either way, the importance of a customized LMS implementation plan cannot be overstated. With the help of your new LMS provider and an onboarding specialist dedicated to your organization, you'll be put on the right path to ensuring the long term success of your learning and development program. In addition to an onboarding specialist, a team leader, eLearning developer, training administrator and an IT expert are good to have as part of your LMS implementation crew. Here's what each role brings to the table, regardless of who does the work.
LMS Onboarding specialistIt all begins with your LMS onboarding specialist. The onboarding specialist oversees several key tasks essential to getting your new learning platform off the ground. Some of these tasks include:
- Acting as a dedicated point of contact during the onboarding phase
- Ensuring your organization's admins are trained on the system
- Providing best practice recommendations
- Coordinating the onboarding project, deliverables and timelines
- Finding opportunities to leverage additional functionality (e.g. integrations, new features) to maximize your use of the system
- Assisting in identifying KPIs
Team leaderThe team leader oversees the efficient running of their new LMS. Two areas of management are required:
- Project management: Creating a schedule, identifying milestones and tracking progress. The team leader will create project specification documents, hold planning and implementation meetings and take responsibility for keeping things on track.
- People management: Resolving schedule conflicts, removing obstacles and providing guidance to team members.